Tonight I’d share with you an old post–one I originally wrote several years ago. It’s been a favorite for many of my friends, so I thought I’d share.
While visiting a friend several years ago, we went to see the movie Last Kiss, not really knowing all that much about it. Whew, let me tell you, there is a lot of stuff in that movie that I did not need to see! Anyway, the whole movie was pretty much a commentary on the decline of meaningful, committed relationships in our society. And by decline I mean, the complete and total absence of. Now I’m not promoting this movie, and I certainly don’t agree with everything in it; but it got me thinking about my commitment to being single. I mean, besides the whole God thing, I’m discovering a lot of reasons to stay single, and I thought I’d share them with you all. (Note to my married friends: try not to get too offended by this blog, you know I love you . . . and your spouse. Note to my single friends: it’s time to celebrate the blessings you have and stop obsessing over meeting your Mr. Right!)
Top 25 Reasons I’m Glad I’m Single:
1. No one will ever be upset that my plans for dinner involve cheese, crackers and not much else.
2. I can go for days at a time without shaving my legs–and no one will notice.
3. I’ll never have to learn to fall asleep to the sound of snoring.
4. I’ll never have to consider whether or not my husband will like the new shade of red I just dyed my hair.
5. I will never have to allow a video game to enter my house as a way of balancing out the money I just spent dying my hair red.
6. The Princess Fiona ogre that comes out at night when I take off my makeup and sleep with seven crazy hair care products in my hair can remain my little secret.
7. There is no one to be jealous of my workaholic tendencies.
8. My teddy bear doesn’t care if my pajamas are more comfortable than sexy.
9. Men are so much more loveable when you can admire them from a distance and never have to deal with their dirty laundry on the floor.
10. The toilet seat always stays down.
11. I get to drive.
12. I always get to pick where I go for vacation.
13. No one judges how many purses I have.
14. Or pairs of shoes.
15. Or pieces of jewelry.
16. No one cares if I hog the covers.
17. I can spend grocery money on dance classes and not feel guilty.
18. I get to be introduced by own name instead of as Mrs. XYZ.
19. When I’m lost, getting directions isn’t a battle I have to fight.
20. There’s no one to notice how often (or should I say, how rarely) I dust.
21. There’s no one to imply that I should be the one doing the dusting.
22. People think you’re younger when you’re single.
23. No one asks you when you’re going to get pregnant.
24. No one cares that my bedroom is decorated with flowers.
25. I don’t feel compelled to spend the equivalent of a down payment on a house to have a big wedding that will last a few hours.
Now, I’m sure there are just as many advantages to being married. I do support marriage you know. It’s just that we single folks don’t celebrate often enough just how good we’ve got it!